Email address Password forgot password?

Topic: Water skiing - Widegates
Created by Roger Lapthorn on Thursday 14 August 2014 at 20:57.27

I understand there is a proposal for water skiing to be allowed within defined areas in the Widegates area of the Kingsbridge Estuary and that a number of papers have been tabled to show this will have little or no impact on the area.

I recommend this proposal is firmly rejected.

Widegates is a quiet area at all states of the tide. When the mud is exposed it is an internationally important area for waders and other mud feeding birds. Many nest nearby.

Despite all the arguments I have heard it is impossible for this proposal not to adversely affect the area: wake, noise etc.

Water skiing involves fast boats, considerable wake, and noise, all of which will adversely affect the area, an area which make this part of the South Hams very special.  Water skiing should be outside of the harbour and estuary where it can take place at any state of the tide and on any day of the week. The Kingsbridge Estuary is a totally unsuitable area.

I am an ex-local who lived in Salcombe and Kingsbridge for many years but I had to leave the area (which I still treasure dearly) because of work.

Roger Lapthorn

Read

Replied by Alwyn Milburn on Friday 15 August 2014 at 10:04.19
Read
 Waterskiing on the Estuary
5 1
Nett Opinion: +4

Replied by James Heaven on Friday 15 August 2014 at 15:38.34
Read
 Response to Objections
2 5
Nett Opinion: -3